Just looking at this photo I'm realising how different in size some of the squares are! Because I'm using leftovers, and buying odd balls here and there, the yarns are quite different thicknesses, even though they all recommend the same needle size. Some of the yarns I've used so far are:
- Jo Sharp Soho Summer dk cotton in Fog (I need so much more of this! It's the grey every square will be finished in!)
- Jo Sharp Soho Summer dk cotton in Shamrock
- Heirloom cotton 8-ply in denim blue (I have some of this in a dark navy blue too)
- Heirloom cotton 8-ply in yellow
- Heirloom cotton 8-ply in pale lime (the heirloom yarns are by far the thinnest yarn)
- Sugar'n'cream cotton 8-ply in turquoise (very thick, would love more of this in various colours)
- Twilley's of Stamford Freedom Denim - desperately seeking more of this discontinued yarn, it's the middle colour in the top right square
- Some unknown yellow cotton, middle of bottom left and right squares
- Katia Mississippi, the dark lime/pistachio green, which is actually only 60% cotton
My plan for this blanket is to do 10 squares of each colour combination, and then finish the blanket off by doing a final round in white, joining as I go. I have roughly estimated I will need about 192 squares, which quite frankly is terrifying! It seems an awful lot of squares! I'll need 15 more colour combinations! I'm hoping to have something about 1.5m x 2m, so it will be a large single bed blanket. I just hope he still likes it by the time I've finished it!
Here is how far along I am - as of today, I have 26 squares done, roughly an eighth of the way.
Wish me luck! I think I'm going to need it!