Friday, April 15, 2011

grey blue green and yellow

I said I'd blog my second crochet project, and here it is! The plan for this one is that it will be a blanket for my son's bed. When I first started crocheting up some left-over cotton I hadn't thought that far ahead, but looking at the colours I think it will be good for his room. If he gets too old for it then it would probably suit our bed too, as a blanket across the bottom of the bed.


Just looking at this photo I'm realising how different in size some of the squares are! Because I'm using leftovers, and buying odd balls here and there, the yarns are quite different thicknesses, even though they all recommend the same needle size. Some of the yarns I've used so far are:
  • Jo Sharp Soho Summer dk cotton in Fog (I need so much more of this! It's the grey every square will be finished in!)
  • Jo Sharp Soho Summer dk cotton in Shamrock
  • Heirloom cotton 8-ply in denim blue (I have some of this in a dark navy blue too)
  • Heirloom cotton 8-ply in yellow
  • Heirloom cotton 8-ply in pale lime (the heirloom yarns are by far the thinnest yarn)
  • Sugar'n'cream cotton 8-ply in turquoise (very thick, would love more of this in various colours)
  • Twilley's of Stamford Freedom Denim - desperately seeking more of this discontinued yarn, it's the middle colour in the top right square
  • Some unknown yellow cotton, middle of bottom left and right squares
  • Katia Mississippi, the dark lime/pistachio green, which is actually only 60% cotton
What I'm craving is more yellows! I have an interim solution for this, and that is to dye some plain white yarn. We'll see how that idea pans out after the Easter break.

My plan for this blanket is to do 10 squares of each colour combination, and then finish the blanket off by doing a final round in white, joining as I go. I have roughly estimated I will need about 192 squares, which quite frankly is terrifying! It seems an awful lot of squares! I'll need 15 more colour combinations! I'm hoping to have something about 1.5m x 2m, so it will be a large single bed blanket. I just hope he still likes it by the time I've finished it!

Here is how far along I am - as of today, I have 26 squares done, roughly an eighth of the way.


Wish me luck! I think I'm going to need it!

3 comments:

  1. Looking good so far Michelle! What a good mummy you are making up a blanket for your little man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Michelle - looks like you have caught the crochet bug!! You should put some pics in the DUST crochet addicts thread. I am struggling to find cotton yarn anywhere and went to order from the states today only to find they were going to charge me $135 to post it!!!! WHat THe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Del! The struggle to find cotton, especially in brighter colours! Don't get me started! That's why I plan to dye some! Will get over to dust and post...

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails